Data Breach Summary
On March 24, 2023. InsecureWeb discovered a data breach affecting the Malwerebytes.org site, with with 14.6 MB the information of its users being compromised. The stolen data included usernames, email addresses, and encrypted passwords. The breach was posted by Pavlov on HydraMarket. In this article, we will discuss the details of the breach, where and how it occurred, and the history of data breaches by the company.
Where and How?
The breach was found on a dark web forum, specifically on hydramarket.co. The stolen data was in the form of a SQL dump, which is a file that contains all the information from a database.
A Screenshot of the data can be found below:
Company Data Breach History
This is not the first time Malwerebytes.org has suffered a data breach. In 2021, the company suffered a similar breach, where the personal information of its users was compromised. This site is working with cybersecurity experts to further investigate the incident and is taking steps to strengthen its security measures in order to prevent similar breaches from occurring in the future.
Recommendations for Personal Data Protection
How Users Can Protect Their Information
To protect their personal information and accounts from being compromised, users should take the following steps:
– Change their passwords frequently, with a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
– Enable two-factor authentication whenever possible.
– Use unique passwords for each account, to prevent hackers from accessing multiple accounts with the same password.
– Be cautious of suspicious emails or messages, as they may contain phishing links that can compromise their accounts.
– Regularly monitor their accounts for any suspicious activity.
What is InsecureWeb?
InsecureWeb is a Dark Web monitoring service that keeps track of recent data breaches and tracks their impact by monitoring the darkest places of the internet. InsecureWeb notifies users and enterprises when their data has been found online and helps them mitigate the impact.